In August of 2009 a group of local mountain bikers, road cyclists, cycling advocates and the Wild Women Cycling Club decided it was time to join together to provide a common voice for the cycling community in Powell River. The Powell River Cycling Association (PRCA) was incorporated as a society on October 1, 2009.
Some of the main reasons for creating the Powell River Cycling Association were:
- To promote the stewardship and official establishment of local trails.
- To access funds for trail maintenance and construction.
- To promote the development and production of maps and guidebooks.
- To organize local events and races.
- To represent the cycling community before agencies, municipal and regional governments, other groups, and tenure holders.
The purposes of the society as outlined in our constitution are:
- To promote, assist and advocate for the use of the bicycle for sport, recreation and transportation.
- To promote and protect the rights of bicyclists.
- To advocate for the interests of bicyclists.
- To promote bicycling for fun, fitness and transportation.
- To support bicycling safety and skills education.
- To work with other community groups, agencies and organizations having similar goals that can contribute to the purposes of the society.
- To raise funds as necessary to carry out the purposes of the society.